Policy Advisory Opinion Information
During the 78th legislative session (2003), SB277 was passed instructing the Texas Board of Professional Engineers to develop and implement a process to prepare written Policy Advisory Opinions. (See SB277, subchapter M adding Section 1001.601 to the Occupations Code.)
The board has developed the procedures and requirements for this program, and has adopted rules for Policy Advisory Opinions.
The timeline for developing the Policy Advisory rule:
- September 1, 2003: SB277 becomes effective as law.
- October 9, 2003: Quarterly Board Meeting. Policy Advisory proposed Rules adopted with changes.
- November 14, 2003: Proposed Rules published in Texas Register and available for public comment.
- January 15, 2004: Quarterly Board Meeting. Policy Advisory Rules adopted. Rules published in the January 30, 2004 Texas Register.
- May 21, 2014: Policy Statement is approved by the TBPE Board of Directors which requires the TBPE staff to review all Policy Advisory Opinions with 180 days of the end of every Regular Session of the Texas Legislature to ensure the opinions are current, necessary and adhere to existing statute and rules. Policy Statement PDF
Note: The board will
accept written requests for Policy Advisory Opinions at any time. Although an
individual may formally request a policy advisory opinion on any subject connected
with the law and rules of the Texas Board of Professional Engineers, understand
that the process time to completion may be quite lengthy. It is recommended
that any question or issue over law and/or rule interpretation be directed to
the Board staff by email, phone or fax. A prompt response will be provided.
Phone: (512) 440-7723
Fax: (512) 440-5715
How to Submit a Written Policy Advisory Opinion Request
Anyone can send in a written
request for a Policy Advisory Opinion. You can include the required information
in a letter, fax, or amyl. The board has developed a form that can be used. Please see below for the form and instructions in two different formats.
Policy Advisory Request Form
Send the Policy Advisory Opinion
Texas Board of Professional Engineers
1917 IH-35 South
Austin, TX 78741
Fax: (512) 442-5715
View current Policy Advisory Opinion Requests and Policy Advisories already issued by the board.
Board Seeking Experienced Policy Advisory Opinion References
The board is seeking licensed Professional Engineers with extensive public or private experience to serve as references for Policy Advisory Opinions on an as-needed basis. The board may need subject matter experts to review requests and provide information for specific Policy Advisory Opinions.
Qualified PE's should forward a current detailed resume and any questions to the board. The resume should set forth relevant education, employment, and experience information, including specialized experience and training, and the area of interest (Wastewater, airport construction, traffic control, etc.)
send resume's and information to: